This recipe comes from The Purely Twins and it’s pretty awesome. One thing I occasionally miss since eliminating gluten is being able to have a sandwich! I know they make gluten free wraps and bread but I seldom have them because they are still heavily processed. I’m so thankful that I discovered this incredibly simple “bread” that uses only TWO real food ingredients! Because real food is used, this bread is full of various vitamins and minerals! Plantains are an excellent source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C and a good source of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and potassium! Unlike a banana, plantains cannot be eaten raw and need to be cooked before eaten. Think of it this way, they have a very similar texture to potatoes and we don’t eat potatoes raw, we must cook or bake them first.
I have to be honest, I have never actually worked with plantains before until now. I made a rookie mistake and first attempted to make this bread with an under-ripe green plantain. I could not even begin to peel it! I leaned my lesson and allowed a second plantain to sit at room temperature and ripen for a week and a half. It eventually turned yellowish green with black spots which was perfect for making the bread. A really ripe plantain will actually turn completely black when it’s ready to eat but I’m not sure if that level of ripeness would work well for this bread. Peeling the plantain proved to be a challenging task. But again, it was my first time working with a plantain so perhaps there’s a simpler way. It’s certainty not like peeling a banana as you might suspect. The skin is a lot thicker and tougher. I recommend using a sharp knife to first cut off the both ends of the plantain and then make slits lengthwise on the sides to help remove the peel. Once you’ve accomplished removing the peel, the rest is easy!
- 1 medium plantain (fairly ripe)
- 2 large eggs
- Coconut oil to grease pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a round cake pan with coconut oil.
3. Peel plantain and cut into chunks.
4. Place plantain into blender. Add two eggs.
5. Blend until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour mixture into cake pan and place in oven.
7. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
Nutrition Info: (1 slice)
Three Ways to Enjoy Plantain Bread!
1. Spread one tablespoon of nut or seed butter on for a balanced snack.
2. Use two pieces to make a grain free sandwich.
3. Top one slice with a fried egg, raw spinach and goat cheese for a delicious breakfast.