Sweet potatoes offer a BUNDLE of nutrition. For starters, they consist of important antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients. They are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which is converted into Vitamin A in the body. In addition, sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and Vitamin B6. Instead of limiting this nutritious root vegetable to your Thanksgiving tradition, include the naturally sweet vegetable year round. Pair these oven baked fries with fresh salad greens and grilled fish for a delicious balanced dinner!
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (I don’t typically measure, just drizzle!)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper (dash)
- 1/8 tsp paprika (dash)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash,dry and peel potatoes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut potatoes lengthwise in half, then again in half.
- Now cut halves into smaller strips.
- Toss potato strips in olive oil or use a brush to apply olive oil evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine spices.
- Add spices to potato slices, coating evening.
- Line potatoes up in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, then remove and turn fries once.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until fries reach desired level of crispiness.
Shopping tip: Some grocery stores sell pre-cut sweet potatoes! Martindale’s Natural Market, a grocery store that promotes natural and organic foods, sells a small case of organic pre-cut sweet potatoes ready to just season and toss in the oven!