Summertime Watermelon & Kale Salad
I love, love, love fresh seasonal fruit in a salad. This salad takes just 5 minutes to put together and is loaded with antioxidants. Not to mention it tastes delicious!
- 1 head of organic kale, rinsed and chopped (may also use pre-chopped bin )
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 large cucumber, sliced in quarters
- 1/4 block of goat cheese, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted, peeled sunflower seeds (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- Optional (add fresh mint leaves)
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- Combine all ingredients and toss with dressing.
Kale is the QUEEN of healthy greens. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, it is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. In particular, kale is very high in antioxidants Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K; in addition to minerals iron, calcium, and manganese. Not only is this leafy green chalked full of antioxidants, but even has omega-3 fatty acids to help fight inflammation! One cup offers 5 grams of fiber and only 36 calories.
Crispy Baked Kale Chips
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or 1 even coat of olive oil spray)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Using a knife, cut a kale bunch (already washed & dried) into smaller bite size pieces. You may also use a bag of already precut kale.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread kale into a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil (or use olive oil spray, such as Trader Joe’s), and sprinkle with sea salt and other seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn tray. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Watch carefully as to not allow kale to burn.
- Let cool 3 minutes and enjoy!
Be sure to enjoy these kale chips within 24 hours as they lose crispiness quickly!