With an impeding snow storm, here’s an easy recipe to help warm you up. Sweet potatoes offer so many unique nutritional benefits. They are rich in antioxidants including beta-carotene to help boost Vitamin A levels. Research has also shown that when passing through our digestive tract, sweet potato antioxdants and other phytonutrients may be able to lower the potential health risk created by heavy metals and oxygen radicals
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- garlic powder or fresh garlic clove
- 1/4 cumin
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bacon ‘uncured, nitrate free’ to garnish (optional)
- Wash, peel, and chop sweet potatoes in large chunks.
- Cook bacon and set aside. Meanwhile, saute chopped onion with olive oil in large pot over medium-low heat.
- Once onion is tender (5-7 minutes), added vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, and spices to pot.
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Poor contents into a blender or food process.
Divide in serving bowls and garnish with chopped bacon. Pair with a salad to make it a complete meal!